Monday, March 20, 2017

Annual Filing Requirements for HLAA Chapters

Tax Season is Fast Approaching! Don't forget to file your 990 ASAP

In 2006, federal legislation was passed requiring most nonprofits, regardless of gross income, to file at minimum a 990-N (e-postcard) annually. At that time, HLAA began notifying chapters and state organizations that all are required to file at least the minimum return 990-N or face revocation of tax-exempt status.

The IRS has now begun revoking the tax-exempt status of all organizations required to file that have not filed for the past three years. This could significantly impact the chapters’ and state organizations’ ability to raise funds or solicit donations, and cause you to go through the lengthy and costly process to have the IRS reinstate your tax-exempt status.

In addition to ensuring the affiliate (chapter or state association) is in compliance with IRS requirements, chapters and state organizations must have their 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status and be up to date on the filings in order to participate in the Walk4Hearing as well as accept general donations such as individual, corporate, grants and others. Below is information we hope will answer your questions about filing requirements.

What to do?
Be certain to timely file the chapter or state association’s Form 990, 990-EZ, or 990-N for 2016. For calendar year chapters, these forms must be filed by May 15, 2017. For those on fiscal year, the filing date is the 15th day of the 5th month following your fiscal year-end.

If the chapter or state association has failed to timely file a previous year’s Form 990, 990-EZ, or 990-N, it should file as soon as possible.

The IRS does not provide an online method for filing a previous year’s 990-N. However, various private contractors do provide this service for a fee. To access a list of these contractors, go to the 990-N filing page at Under frequently asked questions, click on “Can an organization file an e-Postcard for a prior year?” This will take you to a link with a list of private contractors providing the service. Check the fees for the service. For example, one private contractor on the list——provides 990-N filing for 2011 and 2012 as well as the current year. The fee for filing a 990-N is $39.95 per year.

Form 990 and form 990-EZ for previous years can be filed on paper versions. The forms are available at If you file a paper version, use registered mail for proof of mailing.

Here are some links you can peruse for help and detailed information.

Please contact or with any questions or if you are in need of assistance completing your annual filing requirements.

Erin Mirante
National Chapter Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.